The Migrant and Refugee Research Centre disseminates our research through peer reviewed journal articles and other publications, as well as at conferences and other events. This page lists the centre's recent and past publications.
- Badu, E., Mpofu, C., & Farvid, P. (2020). Tuberculosis disease trends among African migrants from 2010 to 2014 in Aotearoa, New Zealand. Journal of Public Health, 1-7
- Charania, N.A., Gaze, N., Kung, J., Brooks, S. (2020). Interventions to reduce the burden of vaccine-preventable diseases among migrants and refugees worldwide: A scoping review of published literature, 2006 to 2018. Vaccine, S0264-410X(20)31225-1.
- Kanengoni, B., Andajani-Sutjahjo, S., & Holroyd, E. (2020). Improving health equity among the African ethnic minority through health system strengthening: a narrative review of the New Zealand healthcare system. International Journal for Equity in Health, 19(1), 21.
- Long, N. J.; Aikman, P. J.; Appleton, N. S.; Davies, S. G.; Deckert, A.; Holroyd, E.; Jivraj, N.; Laws, M.; Simpson, N.; Sterling, R.; Trnka, S.; & Tunafa’i, L. (2020). Living in Bubbles During the Coronavirus Pandemic: Insights From Migrants in New Zealand. London School of Economics (LSE). http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/104421/
- Montayre, J., Neville, S., Wright-St Clair, V., Holroyd, E., & Adams, J. (2020). Older Filipino immigrants' re-configuration of traditional filial expectations: A focus ethnographic study. Contemporary Nurse, 56(1), 1-13. doi:10.1080/10376178.2019.1640621
- Pallangyo, E. S., Msoka, A.C., Brownie, S., & Holroyd, E. (2020). Religious beliefs, social pressure, and stigma: Rural women's perceptions and beliefs about vasectomy in Pwani, Tanzania. PloS ONE, 15 (3), e0230045.
- Sajow, H. S., Water, T., Hidayat, M., & Holroyd, E. (2020). Maternal and reproductive health (MRH) services during the 2013 eruption of Mount Sinabung: A qualitative case study from Indonesia. Global public health, 15(2), 247-261.
- Seow, L. L., Jiao, N., Wang, W., Holroyd, E., Teng, G. G., & He, H. G. (2020). A qualitative study exploring perceptions of patients with gout. Clinical nursing research, 29(1), 56-65.
- Vaka, S., Holroyd, E., Neville, S., & Cammock, R. (2020). Comparing and contrasting Tongan youth and service users’ interpretations of mental distress. Journal of Mental Health. doi:10.1080/09638237.2020.1818193
- Vaka, S., Neville, S., & Holroyd, E. (2020). An ethnic interpretation of mental distress from the perspective of Tongan men and community
- Charania, N.A., Gaze, N., Kung, J., Brooks, S. (2019). Vaccine-preventable diseases and immunisation coverage among migrants and non-migrants worldwide: A scoping review of published literature, 2006 to 2016. Vaccine, 37(20):2661-2669.
- Charania, N.A., Paynter, J., Lee, A.C., Watson, D.G., Turner, N.M. (2019). Vaccine-preventable disease-associated hospitalisations among migrant and non-migrant children in New Zealand. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, doi: 10.1007/s10903-019-00888-4.
- Montayre, J., Neville, S., Wright‐St Clair, V., Holroyd, E., & Adams, J. (2019). Late‐life living and care arrangements of older Filipino New Zealanders. Journal of clinical nursing, 28(3-4), 480-488.
- Montayre, J., De‐Arth, J., Shrestha‐Ranjit, J., Neville, S., & Holroyd, E. (2019). Challenges and adjustments in maintaining health and well‐being of older Asian immigrants in New Zealand: An integrative review. Australasian journal on ageing.
- Msoka, A. C., Pallangyo, E. S., Brownie, S., & Holroyd, E. (2019). My husband will love me more if I give birth to more children: Rural migrant women’s perceptions and beliefs on family planning services utilization in a low resource setting. International Journal of Africa Nursing Sciences.
- Wong, W. C. W., Yuen, W. W. Y., Tang, C. S. K., Holroyd, E., & Fong, D. Y. T. (2019). Evaluation and mechanism analysis of HIV prevention programme using resilience framework among migrant female sex workers: A randomised controlled trial. Preventive medicine reports, 13, 229-237.
- Al Zaabi, O., Heffernan, M., Holroyd, E., & Jackson, M. (2018). Islamic parents’ attitudes and beliefs towards school-based sexual and reproductive health education programmes in Oman. Sex Education, 1-17.
- Badu, E., Mpofu, C. & Farvid, P (2018) Towards TB Elimination in Aotearoa, New Zealand: Understanding What Influences TB among African migrants.Tropical Medicine and Infectious Diseases. 3, 44 https://doi.org/10.3390/tropicalmed3020044
- Badu, E & Mpofu, C (2018). Is the Immigration New Zealand Policy a Barrier to TB Elimination? Letters to the editor. New Zealand Medical Journal 131, 1477 p.120-122
- Charania, N.A., Paynter, J., Lee, A.C., Watson, D.G., Turner, N.M. (2018). Exploring immunisation inequities among migrant and refugee children in New Zealand. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics, 1-8.
- Kongsuwan, V, Holroyd, E, Wandee S and Wilawan K, (2018) Thai Migrant Flood Survivors' Perceptions of Their Mental Wellbeing and Psycho- Social Support Services Received. Journal of Nursing and Health Sciences
- Mathias, V. A., Holroyd, E., & Edwards, G. (2018). Tanzanian Migrant Mothers' Cultural Beliefs and Misinformation Regarding the Reasons for Their Cesarean Sections. International Journal of Childbirth, 8(3), 189-197.
- Mpofu, C., Morodi, T. J., & Hattingh, J. P. (2018). Governance and socio-political issues in management of acid mine drainage in South Africa. Water Policy.
- Mpofu, C., Morodi, T. J., & Hattingh, J. P. (2018). A case study of stakeholder perceptions of history, management and decision-making approaches around of acid mine drainage in South Africa. Environmental Justice.
- Mpofu, C., & Morodi, T. J. (2017). Environmental decision making on acid mine drainage issues in South Africa: an argument for the precautionary principle. Science and Engineering Ethics. doi:10.1007/s11948-017-9933-z
- Ramsay, S.C., Montayre, J., Egli V., & Holroyd, E. (2017) Migrant caregiving for family members with mild cognitive impairment: An ethnographic study, Contemporary Nurse, 53(3), 322-334, DOI: 10.1080/10376178.2017.1346480
- Wong, W.C.W., Cheung, S., Miu, H.Y.H., Chen, J., Loper, K.A., Holroyd, E. (2017). Mental health of African asylum-seekers and refugees in Hong Kong: using the social determinants of health framework. BMC Public Health, 17(1), 153
- Mpofu, C, Sen Gupta, T; Hays (2016). The ethics of medical practitioner migration from low resourced countries to the developed world: A call for action by health systems and individual doctors. Journal of Bioethical Inquiry (Medical education theme)
- Mpofu, C. (2016). The New Zealand Outbound International Medical Experiences: An Economic and Medical Workforce Strategy. In D. Velliaris (Ed.), Handbook of research on study abroad programs and outbound mobility. IGI Global.
- Mpofu, C. (2016). Psychology and Medicine Professional Doctorates in New Zealand and Australia: Context of Development and Characteristics. In International Perspectives on Designing Professional Practice Doctorates: Applying the Critical Friends Approach to the EdD and Beyond. Palgrave MacMillan. Retrieved from http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/international-perspectives-on-designing-professional-practice-doctorates-valerie-a-storey/?isb=9781137527059
- Mpofu, C. (2016). STEM fields and Ethnic Women in New Zealand: Issues of sexism and racism. In U. Thomas, & J. Drake (Eds.), Critical Research on Sexism and Racism in STEM Fields. IGI Global